Leave a comment, save a child. Yes, it’s that simple.

by julie on August 20, 2012

Edited to add: Thank you all so much. I’m overwhelmed by the response here. This campaign continues through August 31, and all comments through that date count for a $20 donation, so please keep commenting!

Little known fact: My undergrad degree is in Environmental Health Sciences, including coursework in Food Microbiology, Human Parasitology, and Epidemiology and Immunology. I sketched dust mites and mosquitoes, grew Petri dishes of C. botulinum, and spent a semester at the county public health department, while interning between classes at an 8(a) minority-owned environmental consulting firm, taking samples for lab analysis and helping organize a Clean Air Act compliance effort at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

Then the Air Force decided I ought to work at the Pentagon, and I haven’t done a lick of environmental or public health work since.

But my interest in the topic remains, and that’s one reason why I’m so thrilled to be part of the Shot@Life Blogust: Blog Relay for Good. Shot@Life is a United Nations Foundation initiative that promotes vaccines as one of the most cost-effective ways to save the lives of children in developing countries.

We face many public health challenges in the United States, but they pale in comparison to those of other countries around the world — particularly countries without effective leadership or infrastructure to ensure basic public health care needs are met for their citizens.

I recently read Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa. It’s an in-depth study of the political, economic, and social factors that have troubled Africa for decades, but most recently in the last 15 years with the genocide in Rwanda and the movement of refugees across the Congo. It’s a complicated and tragic history in which the UN and non-profit groups such as Doctors Without Borders have worked to address public health issues, particularly in the refugee camps.

The political entanglements and related human rights violations cannot be solved with mere foreign aid, but we can help give more kids a fighting chance by vaccinating them. Perhaps we unconsciously minimize the role of vaccines in public health because they have become a given for us. We no longer see vaccines as the immense weapon against disease that they truly are. Instead we focus on all the problems that are beyond our reach as individuals, perhaps even beyond our reach as a nation.

I opened comments because of this effort. Now I’m asking you to comment. Because each comment equals a $20 donation to vaccinate a child in a developing country against measles, polio, pneumonia and meningitis caused by pneumococcal bacteria, and diarrhea caused by rotavirus. $20 for four vaccines.

To be clear, all you have to do is leave a thoughtful comment. You don’t have to donate anything except your words. The United Nations Foundation and their donors will do the rest.

I accepted the blog relay baton from Ilina Ewen, and I’m passing it to Gina Carroll tomorrow. There’s 31 of us posting this month, and you can leave a comment on every single post — each one means $20 to vaccinate a child.

Learn more about Shot@Life by joining their email list, following them on Twitter, or liking them on Facebook.

Mom101 August 20, 2012 at 6:42 am

You constantly amaze me. Human Parasitology? How did I not know this? Now I know who to come to when I need an arbiter on the 5 second rule.

Thanks for being a part of this important effort Jule.

Charlie August 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I do believe she can also help me figure out which of my finds are friendly because of my giant bank account. Julie – Which of my friends are parasites?!

amanda August 24, 2012 at 11:36 am

Can’t think of much to say here… Accept that you sound like a freakin awesome human!! Sweet!

Ilinap August 20, 2012 at 6:42 am

I just read A Long Walk to Water with my 7 and 9 year old sons. Not a light topic but outstanding story that hits home the value of what we are doing.

Patricia. Lewis August 21, 2012 at 10:37 am

To all the Doctors + Nurses.
Giving their time + expertise
To help these poor helpless
Children. That need all the help +
Love we can all give.
Always in our hearts + minds
Everyday of our lives
From my children. Tracey USA
Simon. UK +
Claire. Israel My Grandchildren. Dean
Dylan. Kelsey Noi + Alessia
Patricia Lewis. London. UK

Susan August 20, 2012 at 6:45 am

Happy to comment for such a great cause; now I am off to explore your blog.

Heather B. August 20, 2012 at 6:49 am

I want to hear more about growing things in a petri dish.

Liz August 20, 2012 at 6:51 am

I love learning new things about longtime online friends. Also, must use the word “human parasitology” at least once today. I have 4 kids (3 of them teenagers) shouldn’t be all that difficult, really.

I am very blessed to have healthy children and applaud your efforts to help others be able to say the same. Thank you, Julie!

Roxanna (miguelina) August 20, 2012 at 6:54 am

Thank you for being a part of this, Julie! I’m thrilled beyond words to be able to leave a comment here — and then to have it be worth $20? Incredible!

Ryan Lochte August 20, 2012 at 6:57 am

JEAH!

{Ha, okay, I just had to do it since YOUR COMMENTS ARE OPEN WHEEE!}

Mir August 20, 2012 at 7:00 am

I love being able to leave you a comment, and I love that you’re part of this!

Chrysula August 20, 2012 at 7:01 am

I am half way through Damed Nations: Greed, Guns, Armies and Aid — and it sounds like the issues it covers are similar. So tough, but I am glad I know a tiny bit more about how the world is functioning because there are no solutions without awareness. Thank you for being part of creating that awareness and for opening up your comments just for this special project.

Jeannette August 20, 2012 at 7:02 am

It´s so great to be able to help children by just commenting and using our words as currency.

Kathleen August 20, 2012 at 7:06 am

I knew I enjoyed the perspective you give- not just a fellow 303er but also a micro background! :) thanks for the insight and thanks for doing this!

Jill Greenlaw August 20, 2012 at 7:12 am

I loved reading your story and hearing why this cause is so important to you. Thank you for giving me a chance to comment on your blog and support the Shot At Life campaign.

GCarroll August 20, 2012 at 7:13 am

I love knowing this about your background! I, too, have done little with my Human Biology degree except tend to the petri dish that is my household! And you are so right, the big, overwhelming issues both in our own country and abroad can be incapacitating when you try to wrap your head around them. But when you take Mother Teresa’s approach and save the world one person-in-need at a time, then you can find the strength to move! So glad to be sharing this effort with you!

Katherine Stone August 20, 2012 at 7:34 am

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as human parasitology, and now I’m scared!

I hope that because of my comment and those of others, though, a mother somewhere won’t have to be scared — she’ll know her baby is safe because of the vaccinations provided by Shot at Life. So thank you!!

jyl from @momitforward August 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

Wow! Dancing in the Glory of Monsters sounds fascinating… almost as fascinating as your major in college. I’ve lived in third-world countries where discussions on parasites was a common topic. I wish we would have had you around as our resident expert. Either way, you continue to amaze me!

And so does this campaign. Thanks for being a part of it and giving children a shot at life!

xoxo

Emily McKhann August 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

Wow, Julie, how very cool! You amaze me at every turn!

Dancing in the Glory of Monsters looks so good – I just ordered it on Amazon and really appreciate the recommendation.

Thank you for being a part of #Blogust and for your fabulous post today!!!!

Kelley August 20, 2012 at 7:57 am

Thanks for being a part of this awesome cause-I’ve learned about so many amazing bloggers this month and love the opportunity to do something good…just by leaving a comment!
Incidentally, I made the Asian Noodle Salad on Friday night for my extended family-always a hit!

Isabel @alphamom August 20, 2012 at 8:00 am

wow, i would love to pick your brain now that i know your educational background.

It’s so true. vaccines are such an important public health measure that we do take them for granted and forget what a positive impact they made less than 100 years ago on our own country. When you think about it, it wasn’t that long ago in the scheme of things.

Kayt August 20, 2012 at 8:00 am

Just when I think you couldn’t get much more interesting, you bring up Human Parasitology! My inner comedian/smartass first interpreted that course name as a study of those guys that permanently couch surf and can’t hold down a job. Once the morning coffee kicked in and I could think again, I really would love to take that class.

Melanie August 20, 2012 at 8:12 am

This is my first comment on my new MacBook Air! Yay!

I’m sorry if that’s not substantive, but I need to get ready to go to my summer internship. I’m blessed, though, to be able to so easily make a positive difference in people’s lives as this campaign enables me to do.

Mike August 20, 2012 at 8:20 am

These words will do the most work of any others that I will speak or write all day. Thank you.

Cindy L August 20, 2012 at 8:30 am

Thanks for your post!

Jess_C August 20, 2012 at 8:33 am

A needed and worthy effort I’m thankful to support.

Paula August 20, 2012 at 8:36 am

I am so happy to be doing such good things with my time…

Evan August 20, 2012 at 8:42 am

I think it’s noble that people like you are taking the initiative to push forward such a great program. There is a lot of inequality in the world, and there always will be, but little steps like this can lead to bigger steps later.

Lauren August 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

This is great. Thanks!

Myrdin Thompson August 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

One person can make a difference because comments count. Sometimes it does seem so overwhelming and because of that we react by not acting-thinking that one person can’t change the world. But one person, one comment gives one child a shot at life, at fulfilling and achieving dreams, at growing up and making a difference! That’s awesome!

Renee J. Ross August 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

Who knew we both share a background in public health? That combined with a love of fitness too? We need to hang out more! Maybe you can convince me to do a tri. As a matter of fact a tri was going to be my first endurance event many years ago because I could’t imaging running long distance. So, a tri may be in my future.

I’m so happy to be part of this wonderful initiative with you!

Morra August 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

Julie- I’m just curious why going to the Pentagon cured you of the environmental quest. There must be a story there!
Thank you for your support- it means the world.
Morra

Michelle Terry August 20, 2012 at 8:47 am

Immunizations
Prevention, efficacy
Saving lives daily

Martha August 20, 2012 at 8:48 am

I love that you bring up the use of vaccines as weapons. They are amazing, and if we invested in those as much as weapons of mass destruction, it seems we’d be a little closer to peace. Thanks for your post and for supporting this cause.

Angela August 20, 2012 at 8:54 am

Thanks for an insightful article. Keep up all your good works!

Catherine/Her Bad Mother August 20, 2012 at 8:54 am

I had no idea that parasitology was a thing, never mind that you were educated in it. Love discovering new things about my friends :)

xo to you lady – here’s to more lives being saved!

Mr Lady August 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

I really honestly thought I could not love you more. Now I have a bunson burner crush on you.

This might be my favorite shot at life post yet. Thank you for participating, for giving this intimate effort a global lens, and for generally rocking my socks off constantly.

louie bertels August 20, 2012 at 8:59 am

glad to help

Jen August 20, 2012 at 9:03 am

Thanks for a great read and more importantly thank you for being part of such a worthwhile effort.

Brenda Martin August 20, 2012 at 9:03 am

I am grateful for this organization! We often take for granted that the vaccines we have available in the U. S., are equally available across the world and this is a sad UNtruth! See this list of deaths by country (just for pneumonia), http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/influenza-pneumonia/by-country/. I am hopeful by GAVI Alliance’s goal, “to introduce pneumococcal vaccinations to more than 40 countries by 2015. Once at full capacity, the program could save the lives of three to four million children over the next 10 years.” These kinds of efforts need support from us! We can help to make a wonderful difference in the world! Our organization, UCAN, Inc’s motto is, “YoU CAN Change the World; Together we Must!”

Felisa Hilbert August 20, 2012 at 9:03 am

I am a former nurse from Mexico and I wish you will have the opportunity to do an internship there. Human Parasitology, epidemiology and immunology were classes that you were able to see and work with real cases everyday. Especially with children.In developing countries you see the effects and power of vaccines in action. How precious is for parents and children to get a simple shot. they wait long lines in a hot summer day, the walk 10-15 miles… and they are very grateful when they receive their vaccines. You are right and expressed so beautiful in your blog;” Perhaps we unconsciously minimize the role of vaccines in public health because they have become a given for us. We no longer see vaccines as the immense weapon against disease that they truly are.” Thank you for supporting the shot@Life campaign and for given voice to many mothers around the world.

Queen Scarlett August 20, 2012 at 9:08 am

What an amazing career! Love this project.

Miranda August 20, 2012 at 9:13 am

We really do take the vaccines for granted. It’s nice to be able to help someone out when it may mean life or death for them. It’s amazing what just a few seconds of your time can do.

WSW August 20, 2012 at 9:19 am

It can be hard and heavy stuff, but that’s no excuse for us to turn away from it. Thanks for doing this.

Tanis the Redneck Mommy August 20, 2012 at 9:20 am

I love that you aren’t only kick-arse fit and funny but you are whip smart too. My fantasies about you remain purr-fectly intact. Thanks for doing this. I love this campaign so much.

Pamela August 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

As a mother, I can only imagine not being able to get my children the vaccinations they need. This is such an awesome and simple way to help. Glad to be a part of it!

Modern Greetings August 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

Wow, what a great campaign for a great cause! We’re happy to leave a comment! Keep doing what you’re doing!

Bbqbobs August 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

Great campaign, keep up the good work :-)

Cynthia Siemens August 20, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’m so happy when bloggers can do good and serve as activists by collecting the power of positive-thinking readers. Go forth and vaccinate!

Melanie August 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

Yay for vaccines so kids have a chance at a healthy life! Thanks!

julia August 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

Hi, extremely interesting. I wasn’t aware of all this. Thanks for doing this.

Karianna August 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

Yay! Science gals unite! Thank you for being part of this program. XOXO

Cheney August 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

Scary that there’s a degree in human parasitology because that means there are SO MANY HUMAN PARASITES. Ugh. Let’s get some kids some medicine to fight off the yuck!

Tatum August 20, 2012 at 9:38 am

Thanks for helping raise money for vaccines for kids!

Linnea August 20, 2012 at 9:39 am

Awesome! Thanks for calling attention to this fantastic cause.

Andrea Fellman August 20, 2012 at 9:39 am

Love to help save a life, Shot@Life is amazing!

Margaret Busse August 20, 2012 at 9:42 am

Great post, and great to get to know you Julie.

Tracey August 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

Words=Action.
Though there are vaccines that give me pause, the need for the basic preventatives should be available.
Thanks for doing this.

mike August 20, 2012 at 9:46 am

Such an amazing idea. Thanks for the chance to help make a difference.

Doug August 20, 2012 at 9:49 am

I now must consider the possibility that you can compete in triathlons and such because you have midichlorians running through your veins. The force is strong with you.

Steen Krause August 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

As a student currently studying pathophysiology, I also understand the importance and necessity of vaccines. This is a fantastic effort to bring something we take for granted in the States to those who would otherwise not have this chance at survival. Thank you.

Kelly August 20, 2012 at 9:52 am

It’s frustrating to hear some of my peers’ anti-vaccine stances when the use of those vaccines that have directly or indirectly kept their children safe and healthy. This campaign is great. Good luck to you!

Meaghan Clark August 20, 2012 at 9:57 am

Good work!

Cooper Munroe August 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

You are amazing! Thank you for sharing your brilliance and huge heart!

Josline Stefanick August 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

Thanks for sharing this post!

Anwen August 20, 2012 at 10:08 am

If it’s my words you need, my words you shall have. Such a small thing to save someone from a horrible illness or even death.

Anna August 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

I appreciate the ideas that vaccinations are perhaps underappreciated (certainly the case with me) and yet a practical, impactful way in which we can help developing countries.

Jen G August 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

Great cause!

Jennifer Miller August 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

God Bless those little ones! Thank you so much for being part of this cause and letting us help.

Kje August 20, 2012 at 10:16 am

This is such a wonderful initiative. Vaccines are so important, every che needs to be protected. Also, very interesting work with growing botulism and whatnot.

kris August 20, 2012 at 10:18 am

Hi, as a mom of lil people, I think shots should be free and mandatory.
Everyone gets them we can get rid of a few epidemics…win, win to me

Jenny Lu August 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

Great post!

Alex August 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

Happy to comment for such a great cause! <3

Jesse August 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

WOOP!

carmel mac August 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

Thank you Julie for contributing to the care and protection of children. Interesting to note that what you learned as an undergraduate and with county health still is relevant today especially with the ongoing problem of vaccines for all.

BBS August 20, 2012 at 10:28 am

This is such a great idea, to harness the power of blogging for a common goal!

Kristine August 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

Undergrad in microbiology here as well. Now I change lots of diapers. Great cause. Thanks!

Suzy Soro (@HotComesToDie) August 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

Leaving a comment for this great cause and because @redneckmommy asked us to in a tweet. She has tattoos and scares me so I’m doing what she says.

Nick August 20, 2012 at 10:33 am

This is fascinating to discover how people get to where they currently are in their careers. And I learned some things about public health along the way. Thanks!

Ashley August 20, 2012 at 10:38 am

Thank you so much for participating! Great post :)

Rhianna August 20, 2012 at 10:47 am

Great cause!

Beth August 20, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thanks Julie! Having grown up in the Congo I am always thankful when someone can shed a bit of light on the constant heart wrenching struggle there. I am so thankful for the shot@life campaign. We will make a huge difference in so many children’s lives.

AmyLu August 20, 2012 at 10:51 am

This is such a great cause! Thanks for being a part of it.

Jennifer August 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

wow…This is such an amazing campaign!

traceyclark August 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

yes, a donation of words is the least we can do for such an important cause! so thrilled to be a part of Blogust with you Julie.

Ana L. Flores August 20, 2012 at 10:55 am

What an intriguing background and what a great way to bring it full circle! Amazed to be part of this with people like you!

Emily August 20, 2012 at 10:56 am

This is such an amazing idea! Keep up the good work!

Catherine August 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hopefully this comment will save a life!

Justice Fergie August 20, 2012 at 11:16 am

that book sounds so interesting! and, I, too, thought I would have a career in public policy or social activism – but ended up in a completely difference direction, so opportunities like these to be involved in changing lives are welcome. glad we are in this together!

Erin August 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

This is such an amazing project. I’m sad I didn’t know about it until this late in the month, but now I’m going to comment every day!

Chrysula August 20, 2012 at 12:05 pm

You can actually go here, http://shotatlife.org/blogust/blogust-all.html and comment on all the older posts too if you feel like it!

sue August 20, 2012 at 11:26 am

thanks for the great post!

Jeff August 20, 2012 at 11:26 am

God bless us all.

Suebob August 20, 2012 at 11:36 am

I didn’t have to go to college to grow weird cultures. I do that in my own fridge.

Sarah August 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

Vaccinate all the children!!

erica douglas August 20, 2012 at 11:57 am

We are so blessed to live in a country with the technology to save lives via vaccinations. I hope every child has the same opportunities.

Anissa Mayhew August 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

I don’t trust people with degrees I can’t even pronounce.

Thank you for doing this and I’m honored to be smarter by association as a part of Blogust,

Allison Dearstyne August 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Love it! This is an awesome project!

Jeanette August 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Great cause. Thanks for your blog!

Stephanie Brown August 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

The availability of vaccines to keep our children healthy is a lovely thing that we sometimes take for granted–kudos to you –and all of the bloggers participating for helping out with this great cause!!!

Kat August 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm

What a great campaign

ats August 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm

always happy to help xoxo

Marty August 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I’m glad to get to leave you a comment :)

This is a great campaign.

Kristen August 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I’m all for supporting children!

Jessica August 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Vaccines save lives!
Great cause Julie. Thanks for being on the right side of immunization advocacy.

Korinthia August 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I’ve missed being able to comment on your blog, so how nice to have a chance for such a good cause. Thank you for making my words make a difference here. I hope it helps.

Christine Dennison August 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thank you for doing this and thank you United Nations Foundation and their donors!

Amanda August 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Love this! Great cause

Becki King August 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Some days, “human parasitology” sounds like a fancy word for what my kids do to me.

My healthy, fully-vaccinated kids. Who are free to act like parasites because their health is well-protected. Somehow, now, I don’t think I’ll grit my teeth the next time one of them calls me…

Courtney August 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Happy to comment for such a cause!

Trish Christie August 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Awesome! Thanks.

Annika Erickson-Pearson August 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Thank you for doing this. And thank you to everyone who is commenting. And thank you to the United Nations Foundation and donors. Let me know how I can be of service.

christina August 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Super duper!

Sarah Cotterman August 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Words are our most powerful weapon. thanks for the link

Meredith August 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Great cause!

Arnebya August 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I love that my comment goes toward something so beneficial and meaningful. Is it also wrong, though, just to be glad to be able to comment on your site? :o )

Erin August 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Wow! That sounds like an interesting field of study. Thanks for posting, Julie.

Brandy Robertson August 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

If you are interested in a happily-ever-after heart-wrenching read, I suggest checking out Citizens of Nowhere. It describes my life’s passion and what happens when caring people come together for a cause…much like what is going on with Blogust!

Brie Adams August 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

thank you! :)

Megan August 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Loved learning all this about you Julie!!

Nate August 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Vaccinate!

RookieMom Whitney August 20, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Boo parasites! Boo unequal distribution of wealth, including access to health care and clean water!

Nancy M. August 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I love seeing online media used in such a powerful way. Go, Shot@Life!

Texas Social Media Research Institute August 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Thanks for being a part of this. We’re so happy we can help with something as simple as a comment. We’re tweeting and blogging about this wonderful cause as well.

threewildthings August 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

This is such an easy way to help a child. Done!

meredith August 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

LOVE this comment for GOOD thing!!!!

Becky Melde August 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm

What a great cause. Thank you for the opportunity to help.

Bree August 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Let’s save some lives!!

Catherine August 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Love this line: “Perhaps we unconsciously minimize the role of vaccines in public health because they have become a given for us.” Something to think about. Thanks for doing this!

Sarah August 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Vaccines are so valuable. I find myself perplexed by those who look at them as something evil.

ali August 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

i’m so happy to be a part of this effort. thanks to you and the others for the work you are doing!

Kara August 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Thanks for supporting the shot@life campaign!

Miss Nemesis August 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I am grateful to live in a place & time where vaccines mean I don’t EXPECT to lose one or more of my children to disease. Would love to spread the same security to parents everywhere!

William August 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Keep the comments coming ! Wishing everyone a great week :)

J August 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I think this is a wonderful cause and hopefully much good will come from it and not get caught up in the politics of the area.

Jules August 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for this topic that helps remind us that life isn’t as rosy outside the US. What a great cause to help children where their own governments don’t.

Vanalee August 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for giving me the chance to help. Great post.

Laurie August 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm

So much we take for granted is nowhere near a given elsewhere. Happy to pitch in. (And I want to read that book.)

Elena August 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Love the perspective on vaccinations as weapons and as a way to combat political instability and strife. Thank you so much for broadening the discussion and reminding us of why these comments are so truly important.

Kayla August 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

What a beautiful post! Keep up the amazing work!

Allison Herbert August 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Thank you for participating in this important effort. I am always appreciative when people use their voices for the good of less fortunate people who you may never know or see.

Flavia Huber August 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm

That is just incredible. Thank you for this opportunity to help.

Sherry August 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm

So glad to hear about such good work and your blog. Please continue your humanitarian outreach.

Courtney August 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Thrilled to comment for the cause. Thanks for the opportunity!

Clay Nichols August 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm

So elegantly put. This is such a simple way to do a demonstrable good. How often are we given that opportunity? Thanks.

julie August 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thank you for you post, and for continuing to pass the torch.

Joanna McCormick August 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’m glad that I had the chance to be vaccinated. I’m thankful that my child is vaccinated. I am happy to do something as simple as leaving a comment here allowing another child a chance to be protected. Thank you.

Becky Cohen August 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Each kid matters!

Laura B August 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm

What a great opportunity! Thank you for helping!

C.C. Chapman August 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Another great post for this awesome cause!

Jay R August 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Just want to contribute — it’s too easy to pass up!

Brehan Fitzgerald August 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

What a great idea….if only politicians could do this much good with a “few clicks” and reading!! Keep SHOWING UP everyone!

julie b August 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

words save lives!

Tazilinda August 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I have Sickle Cell Disease (SCD), a hereditary non-communicable disease which causes chronic anaemia and reduced amounts of oxygen being carried our bodies. On the more positive side, we’re kind of immune to malaria. Unfortunately the anaemia causes several complications through out our lives. I wish one day SCD would be given the attention it deserves :)

Justin Gronfur August 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Thank you for being an advocate of such a great cause as Shot@Life. The power that vaccines have at changing lives is amazing.

Julie Pippert August 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Cultural geographer here!

And so impressed with this wonderful effort — great post, great cause.

hc August 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for writing and giving us the chance to participate!

Lindsey Johnson August 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Love this campaign so much! Thanks for a great post.

Abbey August 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Here you go!

Pat Rosenberg August 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Appreciate your continued advocacy for the environment. Great opportunity to give back.

Patricia August 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Great post! Keep up the good work!

George Logan August 20, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for the informative post. I was Pre-Med in college, and I took a Parasitology course. I will not look at a worm the same way again! Thanks for helping out for such a good cause as Shot@Life!

KaeleyAnne August 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm

As an environmental engineer, access to clean water is often my cause of choice, but access to vaccinations is another cause that I fully support.

annette agee August 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm

This is Wonderful! Thanks to everyone who participates! Bless You

PikaPikaChick August 20, 2012 at 4:49 pm

This is an amazing program. Thanks for making the world better!

Neil August 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm

This is great. If this comment is really worth $20 to people who need it, that is way too awesome. God bless all of creation!

Monica August 20, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Amazing … First because this is a great reason to comment. Second, I had no idea about your past life in research.

Jamie Morris August 20, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Julie, this is just one reason why you are one of my favorite people in the world. Love you Sister!

Anne August 20, 2012 at 5:48 pm

You gave me pause, when you wonder why we tend to discount the value of vaccinations in public health.
Clean water, medical assistance in pregnancy and childbirth, vaccination: these are essential basics.

Carissa August 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Hey! In my past life i was a molecular biologist! WhooHoo for the geek squad.
Now I can’t even talk the talk, much less do the work any more.. :)

Cheers, m’dear, and nods to Shot@life.

Amy August 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Leaving a comment for a child

Ben August 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for being a part of this

Rachel August 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Though I don’t know you, I’m happy for you that you’ve been able to keep up your interest in public health issues while your pursuits are on hold professionally (a la airforce). Thanks for providing a venue in which I can take part in the effort to provide vaccinations for kids who need it.

Charlotte August 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Yay for helping kids!

Jenny from Mommin' It Up August 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love this campaign. How amazing! How many lives will be saved! I’m so privileged to be able to help in this small way. Loved your post, and the shout-out to Wright-Patt!

Erica August 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for partnering with Shot@Life to raise awareness for those lacking resources in far-flung places and how we can help in so many small ways. Perhaps this will also remind people of the importance of herd vaccination protection in the USA, as well.

Louise Storm August 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

What a privilege to be a part of changing lives. Thanks so much Julie for your spotlight here and for your tender heart.

Madge August 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Do it, girl. XOXOXOXOXXXXXOOOOO

MLB August 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Excellenr cause! Thank you!

JoAnn August 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

What a fantastic cause! We think we’re so far removed from the “need” of vaccines, BECAUSE of vaccines. We must never forget that. They’re so effective that they almost become invisible. It wasn’t too long ago that people died from preventable diseases, HERE, and if we can help those elsewhere, why not?

What a great opportunity, Julie!! I wonder how many lives you’re saving? How awesome.

Erin Richardson August 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm

1. I was thinking about how much you and I have in common today. Let’s add this to the list.
2. I learned something about you today.
3. You’re awesome.
4. Thank you for reaching out to everyone and creating another opportunity for people to get involved.
5. Love from Baltimore.

Ann August 20, 2012 at 7:11 pm

A wonderful thing you are doing.

Emil August 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm

So true.. :)

Schaun August 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Yay for helping children!

Amy Graff August 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Happy to comment for this cause!

Chris R August 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thanks for doing this Julie! You are an amazing person!

Sarah De Diego (Journeysof TheZoo) August 20, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Leaving a comment is such a small gesture for such a big outcome. It’s the least that I can do as I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about this issue.

I am proud to be a part of this initiative and want to thank The United Nations Foundation and their donors for their generosity.

Besos, Sarah
Zookeeper at Journeys of The Zoo

Sam August 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm

What a great cause, vaccines are awesome!

Lauren August 20, 2012 at 7:51 pm

What a great cause! Thanks for sharing!

Ava August 20, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Glad to see you are part of this really creative initiative. What a wonderful idea and it’s been great to see such a variety of personal stories.

the muskrat August 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm

My Air Force financed undergrad is in Health Care Management. I don’t use this degree at all now, either.

Glad you’re part of this campaign. I have enjoyed working with Hillary at Dad 2, BlogHer, and the Atlanta event at our aquarium. Great organization!

mak August 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Comment for kids!

Kent H August 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

When I was growing up, a lot of kids near my age (maybe a bit older) fell victim to polio. Fortunately for me, the Salk and Sabin vaccines were developed one immediately after the other and I was thereby protected from a disease that few of us now even think about. Hurray for vaccines and the huge impact they can have on our collective health!

Kathryn (@kat1124) August 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Dang, girl, you’re a serious brainiac. :)

JWG August 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hopefully this will not only help the children in need but also raise awareness on the importance of vaccines in general!

Deborah August 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Such a great cause!!

Lisa August 20, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I have never commented before (have read forever though), I enjoy your perspective and that your posts all make me think. This is a great project, I will try to follow it to help more!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes August 20, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Such a great simple way to make a difference in the life of a child. Thanks for hosting.

jocie August 20, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Thank you for your work!

Petit Elefant August 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Cheers. To you, and smart people everywhere doing smart things.

Caroline Teeple August 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

What a worthy cause! So glad to do something to help out. :)

minhee August 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

thanks for your good work! hope this little comment can contribute to end poverty..

Justin Maddox August 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I do believe you are correct. Vaccines can make a world of difference in a developing country.

Daniel August 20, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Happy to comment for such a great cause.

Ashley C August 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Wonderful work!!!

Adrian August 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I’ve been following this campaign all along, but I have to wonder a bit. How does this benefit the donors – the companies or individuals who are donating the $20 per comment? We don’t ever see who they are, so we aren’t likely to buy their products. I don’t imagine they are tracking the comments to follow up with people later? What benefit to they see from the comments we are making? I guess it gives them a way to measure the interest in this cause for future campaigns? I dunno, I was just curious why they wouldn’t just donate XX amount of dollars without us going through a month of hoop jumping? It’s kind of fun to read the different blogs, but usually if people are putting up large bundles of cash, they want to see some kind of benefit.

Christen August 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Fantastic post, and love to do anything to help Shot@Life! :)

Beth August 20, 2012 at 10:25 pm

This is a great cause.

Stacia August 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I want to help. Here’s my comment.

Anna-Karin Smith August 20, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Thank you for this work! Vaccinations are vital!

Cindy August 20, 2012 at 11:31 pm

What a great cause! Nice to know that by leaving a few words on a post a child may get vaccinated.

Sue Galeano August 21, 2012 at 6:00 am

Thank you for caring and doing so much good!

GoodStuff August 21, 2012 at 6:20 am

So great that just a comment can do so much.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah August 21, 2012 at 8:28 am

*tries really hard to think what I would have thought your degree was in*

You constantly amaze me. I am so glad you are participating in this project. The Shot at Life people do fantastic work. Thank you.

erika August 21, 2012 at 8:48 am

wow, this is much better than a penny for your thoughts – a whole $20! and for a great cause. Thanks for letting me be important to someone for something today. It can all go to hell in a handbasket now.

Holly August 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

You are amazing, thank you for participating in this amazing effort.

kammy August 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

Good job all around. I’m always amazed at how far science has come, and then just as quickly saddened by the fact that said acheivements are so difficult for everyone, (especially children) to receive. I’m happy to leave a comment, and I’m spreading the word.

Whit August 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

What a great idea! Thanks for letting us be a part of it!

Hanoch August 21, 2012 at 11:05 am

It’s amazing how taking a few minutes of my day to write a comment can help a child in need. Even as I fight poverty as an AmeriCorps VISTA, it can appear helpless at times. Knowing that my actions can have direct, quantifiable results and can help children in need is phenomenal!

CMYD August 21, 2012 at 11:31 am

“The longest journey stars with a single step,” so, too, change.

Monica August 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

Happy to help such a wonderful cause.

Bea August 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’m so thankful for the privilege of having my children vaccinated, and thrilled to find such a simple way to help extend that help to others!

Vincent DiCaro August 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This is great work to help “the least of these.” God bless the children and those who are dedicated to helping them.

Joey August 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I learn more All the time, (and even some of it from you) :)

Thanks for all the insights & keep doing what you’re doing!

Pedro August 21, 2012 at 5:27 pm

First things first: your academic background explains a lot about how good you write. You let your thougths grow (like those cultures in the Petri dish), evolve, get a life of their own. However, and unlike those lab experiments I imagine you had, your thoughts are orderly arranged and put forth in a beautiful manner.
As for the cause, congratulations on how many comments you have on this post! Let’s help as many children as possible to get the aid they need.

Jennifer August 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Kudos!

Sarah August 21, 2012 at 11:17 pm

wow, what an important post. thank you for letting me be a part if something so important.

Anne Stein August 22, 2012 at 12:25 am

Thank you. I love good deed doers. :)

Kristen August 22, 2012 at 6:57 am

Thank you for participating in Blogust. Shot@Life is a great organization. Vaccines have saved more lives than nearly all other medical advances combined.

Annika August 22, 2012 at 7:08 am

As a microbiologist, I know all too well the importance of being vaccinated. Thank you for doing this!

Scala August 22, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Epidemiology is something I wish I had learned…. glad you did!

Lisa August 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Great blog. Appreciate your thoughtful and honest articles.

Elaine August 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Thanks for supporting Shot@Life. This is the easiest $20 I have ever donated!

Dawn August 22, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I believe in vaccines. I’m glad to help with my words.

Celeste August 22, 2012 at 10:29 pm

31 comments = 31 kids immunized ! – & I get to read 20ish new blogs? What’s not to like ?

Humincat August 23, 2012 at 5:16 am

Not sure if it still counts, but jic, here is my donation. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

jenna mccarthy August 23, 2012 at 8:42 am

Shots scare me a little. Parasites scare me a lot. This effort amazes me. Kindly run for president.

Mary Forhan August 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

I work with Kiwanis International which works with UNICEF and together we are working to eliminate maternal /neonatal tetanus. This involves just 3 vaccinations at a cost of $1.80 to the mother, to prevent a baby from dying the horrible death caused by tetanus. A baby dies every 9 minutes from tetanus. $20 would save 11 babies. That’s a good use of my money.

Elise August 23, 2012 at 11:30 am

Amazing how life can lead us in so many unexpected directions. The one constant I see is that we end up where we need to be (as you have) when we open our minds and follow our hearts.

Diana August 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm

This is a fantastic initiative, raising awareness, raising funds and making it easy for us mouse-potatoes to get involved and help out.
It should also encourage us to think – and discuss – the necessary education campaigns that should accompany such immunisation drives. There is still a lot of ignorance to be overcome, even in developed countries such as the USA, and unfortunately, we are now also dealing with the backlash of the covert operations in Pakistan that took place under the guise of vaccination campaigns.
Lots of work to do, but, as the famous proverb says, “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”
Thank you for participating!

Nancy August 24, 2012 at 4:50 am

Thanks for giving more children in the world the opportunity to share their gifts with all of us.

Lori McGarvey August 24, 2012 at 7:08 am

As a fellow sketcher of parasitical nether beings, I fully support this effort in all countries, but especially in third world countries as it would do so very much for them–more than just raise their standard of health care.

Pass it on! I shall!

Andrea August 24, 2012 at 7:38 am

Thank you for sharing. For participating. This is so amazing I’m thrilled to watch it unfold and to participate by simply commenting.

*We can choose to feel helpless in the face of monumental problems in developing countries, or we can do something seemingly small, yet ultimately significant.*

I LOVE this. Love.

John Farrell August 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Compassion and contribution! Well done.

Previous post: